A Natural Spectrum® “Happy Light” can provide relief from the symptoms of “Winter Blues” and seasonal change.
We all have days now and then when we feel a little down, tired, or mildly depressed. Some people start to feel depressed when the gray days of winter settle in and stretch one into another.
Our bodies take cues from our environment—specifically the sun—to help regulate biological functions. When our access to natural light becomes limited and our exposure to inorganic light sources increases, our body clocks or circadian rhythms are adversely affected.
Symptoms of Winter Blues:
Scientific studies have shown that underexposure to natural daylight can result in sleeplessness, the winter blues, fatigue, increased appetite and diminished sex drive.
CNN reported that, “about 15% of the U.S. population experiences the problematic rhythmic change of the seasons…But about 5% of the population becomes so impaired every winter that they meet the criteria for SAD.”
Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Although not everyone has the same symptoms, the most common symptoms of SAD, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, include:
- Sad, anxious or “empty” feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness or helplessness
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoy
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
- Difficulty sleeping or oversleeping
- Changes in weight
- Thoughts of death or suicide“
(If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. 1-800-273-TALK (8255))
Light therapy is one of the ways doctors use to treat Winter Blues and SAD. Mayo Clinic describes the treatment as safe with few side effects. It requires the patient to sit in front of a light that mimics natural daylight for prescribed amounts of time.
Other therapies include medications and psychotherapy.
Home Remedies for Beating the Winter Blues:
- Get Outside: Even in the winter exposure to daylight can help cheer your spirits.
- Exercise boost healthy hormones that can help improve your outlook on life.
- Brighten up your living and work spaces. Open the curtains, turn on the lights, and sit near a window when possible at home or at work.
- Practice healthy self-care. Eat healthy foods, get enough rest, and if you feel you aren’t able to pick your mood up easily, talk to your doctor.
Relieve the symptoms of the “Winter Blues” and the effects of Seasonal Change with the HappyLight Energy Lamp:
HappyLight provides Natural Spectrum® light when daylight is unavailable. 6,000 LUX of white light emulates daylight to help prompt your body’s positive physiological responses to natural light to improve mood and overall sense of well-being. (Minimum recommended usage is 30 minutes to 1 hour based on 6,000 LUX at 6″. Individual results may vary.) Experience improved energy, mood and concentration naturally with HappyLight.
You’ll experience improved energy, concentration and mood naturally without the use of drugs or artificial stimulants. Its sleek, space-saving design is ideal for home, office, or dorm room and its energy efficient bulb
Home Environment Center and Verilux, Inc. do not make any medical claims. Please consult a qualified physician before using any bright light system.
Please stop in to see the Happy Light at Home Environment Center!